The Kerikeri Cruising Club was formed in 1935 and held its first meeting in the Stone Store, New Zealand’s oldest stone building.
In 1940 the land where the Clubhouse now stands was transferred to the Club by Mrs Agnes Anne Wood for five shillings. A small shed known as the ‘Bunkhouse’, was built and furnished by Club volunteers. The ‘Bunkhouse’ was incorrectly sited, infringing on the foreshore, and was eventually demolished in 1968.
Up until the war regular centre board races, picnics and fund raising dances were held, and moorings laid.
The Club gradually wound down from 1939 as a result of the war. Then in the early 50s another group of enthusiastic young yachties arrived on the scene and the Club's membership swelled to over 100, coinciding with the introduction of Sabots and Cherubs, many built by Club members.
In 1959 a boat shelter and the ‘Old Clubhouse’ was built and became the venue for some infamous social occasions. In the decades following the Club went from strength to strength, hosting its first Northland Regatta, building a jetty and slipway , adding keel boats to its fleet, and expanding the centre board fleet. In 1986 the current Clubhouse was built and in 2003 the Club completed its 180 berth marina with facilities for Club members and visiting boaties.
With thanks to Glenn Saunderson for historical information from his history of the Kerikeri Cruising Club, “50 Years On”.